Making informed decisions is very important, especially if it affects how you portray your business to the world.
The wrong logo sign can be a costly disaster for any company, but especially for small businesses! Luckily for you, the following tips will help you learn everything you need to know before buying a logo sign for your business.
- Logo Design vs. Sign Design: Know what you are shopping for. Logo design companies are a completely different business than sign manufacturing; they are not equipped to help you create a custom logo. This means that you will have to have your logo and branding established before you start shopping around for a sign company.
- Price Range: As with anything, set a budget before you start shopping around for potential retailers. However, with logo signs, you should be prepared to spend several thousand dollars for a good one. On the low end, your sign will be simple, small, and made for indoor use. As you increase your budget, you can add features like LED lighting, custom paint jobs, and more!
- 100% Original: Most people don’t know that logo signs are so expensive because every sign is a 100% original design. Your logo sign, with your specifications, has never been made before! This means that the benefits of bulk manufacturing do not apply in this case.
- Different Signs for Different Purposes: The good news is that there are different logo signs for different purposes. What do you want to use your sign for? Is it going outdoors to attract new customers? In this case, something a bit more flashy may work best for you. Is it going inside? Then something with layers, texture, and a very high-end finish will speak to the quality of the services and products you provide.
- Be Cautious of Renderings: Many logo sign companies will provide free digital rendering in advance of purchase, while others may not begin work until a deposit has been paid. If a payment is required, do not proceed without asking to see a portfolio of previous work and digital renderings to give you an idea of what you can expect from them.
- Permits: Most logo sign businesses are not involved in the process of acquiring necessary permits. This means it’s up to you to do the appropriate research in advance and inform the logo sign company of any design requirements that apply to your order because of permit requirements. Not sure how to get a permit? Your municipality will be able to tell you everything you need to know.
- Installation: Most logo sign companies do not do installations. If they do, it will come at an additional cost, which could mount up, depending on your design. For instance, if you purchase a sign with LED lighting, you will need to hire an electrician to connect it to a power source. Installation is important to sort out ahead of time so you can factor it into your budget.
- Maintenance: As with anything, your sign will require maintenance over time. This will vary based on its materials and whether it is inside or outside. You need to factor this into the long-term costs, as it will depend on what materials you choose for your sign. Will your sign need bulb replacements? Cleaning? Will the colours fade over time due to exposure to sunlight and weather conditions? It’s important to do the math before starting any logo sign project.
- Location is Key: As they say, “Location, location, location!” Where you put your sign is as important as what you put on it. Make sure it’s visible to the audience you want to reach.
- Design Elements to Consider:
- Contrast: Think about what colours go together. There are complementary colours and contrasting colours. Make sure your letters don’t match with their surface, as this can decrease their visibility. Communicate clearly and make your brand stand out.
- Spacing: Make sure the spacing of your letters is perfect (and double-check ahead of time). You don’t want your letters running off the edge or wrapped awkwardly. Also, ask for a paper template ahead of time.
- Font: Your sign should be legible. Stick to simple fonts for optimal readability.
- Size: Always measure where your logo sign is going to go before getting the letters for it, and size your lettering accordingly. There should be a balanced amount of negative space around the letters.
About New Style Signs
For over 50 years, New Style Signs has been the source for the finest architectural signs in Toronto, Mississauga, and Brampton. Specialists at New Style Signs work with designers, architects, and engineers to ensure the highest level of precision and quality from concept and design, to the final manufacturing and installation of all sign products. With its head office located in Mississauga, Ontario, New Style Signs reaches out to a clientele base that spans across the GTA.
Are you ready to get started with your logo sign? Contact us at New Style Signs today!
Leave A Comment